Wednesday, January 12, 2011

1 year anniversary

1/12/11
1 year later. I sat on the balcony steps this morning trying to imagine what some of our friends were experiencing at that moment and what they might encounter today as they remember this day so clearly, like it was yesterday. I thought of Gesner and Youdeline who lost several young friends that they sang in church with. I thought of the little girls at AFCA orphanage who lost their daddy. The sewing instructor for our Good Samaritan girls lost her 25 year old daughter. I thought of Nadej who I just spent time with a few weeks ago praying for her upon finding out she lost her 10 year old son. My heart sank into my feet as I tried to imagine what she has gone through over the past year and how she would deal with this day. It occurred to me that last time we were in Canaan as I walked from one house to another and looked at the expanse of acres full of tents/shelters/homes, that every person in that community had suffered some sort of loss on 1/12/10. Whether it was a job, a home, a family member, a child...these people had all suffered loss and now they are a community. I can only hope and pray that they lean on each other and look to God for their hope for tomorrow.
Schools were closed, stores were closed, markets were closed. Churches were open, people worshipped and prayed. This was a day to honor, respect, and hold one another up.
We went to visit the kids at Good Samaritan this afternoon found out Max and Margarette had a prayer time with the boys and girls. Leading them through worship and prayer for those who suffered loss. It was a special day for us to spend with kids that we hold so dear and are so thankful that despite the loss they suffered in their home a year ago, they are here and they have persevered.
We left the orphanages saying goodbye to the children as we prepare to leave for Carlisle tomorrow, but it was so much easier this time knowing we'd be back in just a little while. We will miss them very much, but we also look forward to time with family and friends!
Blessings,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment