Monday, July 16, 2012

So tell me about....


Right now I am reading a devotional called “Sacred Marriage” I haven’t really read enough of it to have an opinion of it yet, but I was taken back a little bit by the second chapter. 

In it, the author, who also holds seminars on marriage, states that when he sits down with a couple for the first time he always asked them: “So, tell me some things about each other.”  He has found that when he asked this question to an engaged couple they light up with enthusiasm as they start to describe all the things they are to each other.  They share how wonderful she is at doing this or how great he is at doing that.  He says that it is usually the only question that he has to ask, and the young couple in love takes it from there.

He goes on to say that he also asks the same exact question to couples that are already married.  To the author’s dismay, he normally gets a very different response from them.  He states that it is still the only question he has to ask, but the responses are more about what he or she is not instead of what they are.  He ends his thoughts with this quote:  “Where is the bridge that leads people to stop defining their spouse for what they are and start defining them for what they are not.  The sad answer, unfortunately, is marriage.” 

Well, that caused me to think about, if he asked me, what I would say about my wife.  After 20 years of marriage here would be my response to the question:

“SO, tell me about your wife?”

“Ok well,

§          She is my best friend.
§         She loves me like no one else can.
§        She is stunningly beautiful.
§        She loves chocolate.
§        She is the strong one that makes this all work.
§        She loves to watch the sunset.
§        She has three very lucky kids that get to call her mommy.
§        She brings out the best in me and in others.
§        She acts on her passions.
§        Sometimes I get a glance of her and feel paralyzed because I can’t take my eyes off of her.
§        Her compassion, love, and understanding for strangers is one way the Holy Spirit shines through her spirit.
§        She is confident without being prideful.
§        She honors me, even when I don’t deserve to be honored.
§        She loves to have her hand held.
§        She loves to read with her feet in the ocean.
§        She makes a really good friend.
§        While she can hold the attention of 30 three year olds, she is at her best with just one that needs a friend.
§        She can make a pair of jeans, a tank top, and flip flops, look like an evening cocktail dress with heels.
§        She is a compelling speaker.
§        She makes me better and challenges me to become more.
§        Sometimes she just can’t stop laughing.
§        She finds peace in God’s creation.
§        She loves get up early to sit on the porch with a cup of coffee and just be still.
§        She a farm girl at heart, and I love that.
§        She is what our girls want to be.
§        She is what I want for our son.
§        A wink from her makes my day.
§        She loves the sun and cherishes the rain.
§        She doesn’t just stand by me, she stands with me.
§        I know my day was ok when her eyes are the first and last thing I see.

And it’s one of the reasons I know how much God loves me, because she is the one that He created when He thought of me.

Signed,
A grateful and undeserving husband


2 comments: