Friday, November 20, 2009

The Big Race

It is the night before the big race and I am not really all that nervous about it. That's not to say I shouldn't be, but I do have a certain peace about it. I had a friend today say that it was not humanly possible to run 50 miles (and I thought, especially when you weigh over 200lbs.) I certainly know that it can be done because many have done it before and actually have gone a lot further, like the 100 miles in 24 hours race. (Doug don't get any ideas.)

That statement did get me thinking a little bit about my own life though. What is not "Humanly Possible"(at least for me) is the reason "WHY" I'm running the 50 miles. The reason are those 31 very special children in Haiti. For those that have known me in the past this doesn't really come as a shock to you, but the love and compassion I have for these kids and the people of Haiti does not come within myself but from the Holy Spirit that dwells within me. That is really the one and only explanation that I have for the pure joy it brings Deb and I to love and help care for these kids like they're our own.

I feel that one of the reasons that Jesus was so concerned about the poor and oppressed was because he knew that when people's basic needs are not met it consumes them. They can't function let alone prosper. Can you imagine not knowing when you were going to eat again or where you were going to sleep. Can you imagine having a life threatening disease or even a cough and not being able to go to a Dr. to be treated. As consuming as that would be, imagine not being able to feed your own child. Imagine trying to keep your kids safe while sleeping on the streets. Imagine watching your child suffer in pain and not being able to help. Poverty can be paralyzing. That consumes me just thinking about it let alone living in that reality. Unfortunately that is reality for millions around the world.

Thank you to all those that have pledged their support to Doug and I, and I promise we will give it all we got. If you happened to think of us tomorrow during the race we would love your prayers, but also pray for those who don't have to imagine physical impoverishment, because they are living and trying to survive among it.

My prayer: "My God, let my heart continue to be broken by the things that break Yours. "

Amen
ps. Help us finish too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment