Friday, November 27, 2009

Never!!!

Never. That was a word that came up numerous times as Doug and I were running the 50 mile JFK race.


As we were making our way to the start, and still about a half mile away, the starting gun must have gone off because we watched a field of over 1,200 people just get further and further away. There we were, dead last. From that point there was only one way to go and that was up, and up we went because the first three miles were up a mountain until we reached the Appalachian Trail at the top.

As we hit the trail it was just as we imagined; very rocky, somewhat technical, and an ankle's worst nightmare. We were determined to make it off the trail without injuries so we took it as slow as we could and came out of the woods at mile 15 with no problems. Well maybe one, we still had 35 miles to go.

Never #1. Never underestimate the power of prayer and God's healing power. My ankle felt 100% after spending 13 miles on a rock infested trail . After running for six miles the Wednesday before, my ankle was sore and felt weak and I wasn't sure if I was going to able to pull this race off. Then Deb and a friend of mine named Kas Bert assured me that they were 100% confident that God was going to heal it by race day and they were right, He did. I felt zero pain in my ankle for the entire 50 miles and it was not even sore afterwards or to this day.

We hit the Toe Path with all the intentions of trying to pass as many people as we could. That officially lasted for about three miles and then we were fine just finishing. We had a good time just running at our own pace and trying to solve the world's problems and talking about anything and everything to keep our minds off of how far 50 miles really is. Then came mile 30.

Mile 30 is when Doug and I were blessed with meeting up with three ladies. Let me rephrase that, two ladies and a maniac Drill Sargeant type woman that assured Doug and I we had to be at mile 34 in 44 min. in order to make the next cut off. (Side note: In Ultra-Marathons they have checkpoints, and if you don't make a checkpoint in time they pull you out of the race.) Which for you runners out there doesn't sound very fast, but to pull of 10 min miles after running 30 already was no small task for us. So we did it with her screaming out times about every half mile. We finally get to mile 34 with about 5 mins. to spare. I'm looking around for the guy to take down our numbers to make sure that we get checked in, but you guessed it, no guy. As I was getting a drink, I was informed that the checkpoint was not until mile 38 and we had over an hour to get there. I turn around and saw her looking at me and I chose to stay silent. But later had to repent for the thoughts that were going through my mind in that moment.

Never #2. Never listen to a woman while in distress, unless she shares your last name... ( and yes, I fully expect to get comments on that one.)

Mile 38 is when Deb and Ger met us with some PP&J, drinks, and Advil. They put on their running shoes and spent the next 8 miles with us. At mile 41 we hit the hard road and the food, fluids, and medication kicked in and I felt really good. The next five miles were filled with laughter, stories, and making fun of Doug's way of trying to figure out how long we had to go (ask me later). At mile 46, we stopped to take a picture next to a sign that was a memorial for Don Oberholzer Jr. He ran this race 5 times and was the father of our friends Michelle Bell and Don Oberholzer III. As we left that aid station, I watched Deb leave me to finish the next four miles.

Never #3 and 4. Never take the ones you love for granted, because you just never know....

The last 4 miles were just like a long victory lap. We were both tired but the thought of not finishing was long gone and we actually finished pretty strong. As a woman was putting the metals around our necks this is what I heard:

Never #5. "Bro. Never let me do that again."

As I think back on the experience a few more come to mind.

Never #6 Never underestimate the strength, power, grace, and forgiveness of God.

Never #7 I can never live out the dream that God has for my life without the Holy Spirit living in me and guiding me through it.

Never #8 I can never thank all the people enough that have and continue to support us with their prayers and donations to help build the new orphanage.

Never #9 We could never take this on alone, thank you to all 27 families and all the people that have joined the fight....

Never #10 Never say Never!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great story.. but I am still never doing that again!

    :-)

    DougD

    ReplyDelete