Tuesday, May 17, 2011

First Medical team

Right now, there is so much time between my posts. I have many days I know I should write, but can't find the time, days I have the time, but can't find the words. Either way, my desire is to be writing more regularly, sharing what is going on here. A brief overview of our week with Team May and what has transpired.
Team May was, as I said before, our first medical team. It was an awesome week! There was a ton of work that went into this pre-trip and it was evident as health education was taught, people were seen and treated at the medical clinic, and people were prayed with/for. This team saw a bunch of people in Canaan. They handled themselves so well in all circumstances as things changed (as they always do here) and as they saw so much more sickness than predicted.

Team May was such a blessing to us as we watched part of the vision God laid before us almost two years ago come to life in two very different ways. It is undescribable. To feel a burden and recognize it as God, to put it on paper as a vision, then to see it happen. Undescribable!

The vision coming to life first is in the Haitians, the sustainability, longevity...
The relationships we started in Canaan 6 months ago were strengthened. The trust we have been trying to build has been confirmed. We are now at a place in Canaan between the building that is happening and the medical care where we are making a sustainable impact there.

The second part of the vision is that people coming to serve would be challenged, changed. That the awareness they now have would move them into action in their own hometowns. This part of the vision was seen coming to life last week. I'm anxious to hear back from some of the team members on how this has made a difference in their lives on a day-to-day basis.

This week brought about some discoveries as to how much people need the medical help. It also brought about an awareness in Jeff and I of some of the spiritual struggles and the need for teaching and guiding newer Christians. God is again laying a burden/vision down for us. Before coming here, I always thought Iwas ready for things before God knew I was ready. Now, apparently God thinks I'm ready, but I'm saying "not yet", "keep me in the dark", "I am not equipped for this".
Tonight I was struggling after yet again learning more about spiritual warfare among some we are ministering to. "I am not equipped for this". "Why are we here?". "I just want to pack it in and leave here and go back to my comfortable life". "Sometimes, I hate this place, it is too hard."
Then God ever so gently reminded me that we are blessed to be chosen by HIM to be here. He gave me the words to 2 Corinthians 12:5-10. Specifically, vs 10
"that's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Haiti can be tough. We don't claim to truly understand it. We can't even begin to grasp some of the spiritual warfare happening here. Our eyes have been opened this week. God has shown us some things we'd rather not see. It is in these moments we can turn and run or we can trust God to fill us with his Holy Spirit, strengthen us, and give us what we need to do the work he has called us to. We cannot do this on our own strength.

Thank you Team May!!!

~Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment