Thursday, August 23, 2012

more lessons learned

Funny that about 2 years before moving to Haiti, Jeff and I and some very close friends were having conversations about what it might be like to live communally.  These conversations started because of some sermons we had listened to.  A few of the sermons were challenging people to live selflessly, spend less on themselves in order to give more away to those who really needed it.  We even went so far as to look at different houses when we were walking neighborhoods together considering if two families could live in any of them.  Of the 4 of us, I was probably the most opposed to the thought of ever living communally.  Not because I wanted all that we had to be solely for us, but because I know myself and how I needed "my space" and how I liked our family to have "our time."
Funny because for two years, we have been living communally.  We moved to Haiti knowing we would live this way.  Funny how God takes our "I could nevers" and throws them back at us and teaches us to trust him.  It's those things we never think we have what it takes to do.  The things we could never see ourselves doing.  Not on our own strength anyway.
For two years on a rotating basis, we have lived with family, old friends, new friends, pastors, doctors, nurses, lawyers, electricians, contractors, retirees, stay-at-home moms, business men/women, students, and strangers.
Now we live full time with five 20something staff and all the others thrown in the mix often.  What I've come to learn is that yes, it can be tiring at times.  It's a lot of people to prepare meals for.  It's a lot of different personalities.  It costs a ton of money to feed all these people.  Filling two grocery carts on a regular basis gives reason for people to stare.  Going to church together requires that some show up with wind blown hair and dust filled teeth, eyes, and ears because we no longer fit everyone inside the vehicle.  
What I've also learned is that it's a lot of help.  So many hands get things done quickly.   It's more people to share beautiful Haiti mountains and sunsets with.  We can now play a real game of whiffle ball (four square could get crazy).  It brings more birthday party fun!  Saying goodnight to everyone takes me back to my childhood at the end of a Waltons episode.
Never thought I'd be living communally.  It's still kind of weird to me.   I thought I could never do it, but somehow, after throwing it back in my face, God has blessed this time!

Kylie's 10th birthday 
tonight's sunset from our rooftop



No comments:

Post a Comment