Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Returning to Haiti


Coming back to Haiti...
     It's been 3 1/2 months since I was here.  It felt strange yet normal driving from the airport to the guesthouse.  First the language, then the traffic, the smells of Haiti, the beautiful mountains painting the backdrop to streets lined with people, market, garbage, and vehicles...all normal yet foreign.  This life is a mixture of comfort and turmoil.  Turmoil created with all that is taken in a few short hours of arriving back in this land that was my home for 3 years.  
     My first return to see the kids was a sweet sweet reunion with squeals, hugs and kisses even from our oldest boys (well maybe not the squeals).  They are doing great!  School has started back up this month so the kids are on a tight schedule of school and studying.  Only the littlest ones have much time to play.
    Going to Canaan brought me back to the progress of building relationships and structures over the course of our time in Haiti.  These buildings have tremendously helped the community move forward.  
     Suzette…
            What a beautiful and secure house Jeff and his crew built for her!  She is so very grateful for the resources and time given for this.  I am grateful for all who helped make it happen, she has a peaceful place to finish her days on earth. 
     Suzette is fading.  For three years, I watched as cancer took over her body.  She is only a skeleton now filled with tumors.  She is in constant pain, but with God’s strength, she is coping.  We took some more pain meds to help her bear the worst of it.  Her conversation was labored.  Her body is so weak, but she continues to walk this suffering so very closely with Christ.  It’s what carries her.  I can only pray now for her suffering to end.  I left Suzette for the first time in almost 3 years without telling her I would be back.  I kissed her cheek knowing it would be the last.  I pray now for her grand entrance into eternal celebration.  I’m forever grateful for the time spent with Suzette!
     I said “see you later” to the Good Sam kids last night.  It’s always hard to leave them and look forward to coming back to see them.  But I am missing my family a ton and am ready to get back to them.  From one world to another in just a few short hours. 
     Thank you so much Kelly and Melinda for taking this journey with me this week!
   


No comments:

Post a Comment