Monday, February 7, 2011

Team February arrived safely on Saturday. We have had a fun few days with them! Sat evening we visited Good Samaritan Orphanage then had a delicious haitian meal. Sunday, was a great morning of worship followed by lots of fun with the Freedom House Bethesda girls. There were crafts, games and fun visiting! We were even entertained by a very special dance they had been working on:)
This team is feeling the frustration of the language barrier. Even with translators, it is hard to have conversations with people the way you normally would. For Jeff and I, it is a huge frustration...hopefully we will begin some new lessons soon. The team is also learning that for the kids who don't normally get one on one time with anyone, just sitting with them, smiling, and laughing is sometimes enough and conversation doesn't have to happen the way we are used to.
Today the team is doing some "work" at Freedom House. Putting in a garden, hanging ceiling fans, and helping around the house. Fortunately, they have been blessed with a cloudy, breezy day...great for working in.
We are very excited to see what God has in store for the rest of this week as the team travels to Jacmel to minister to the girls at Freedom Grace Orphanage, then to Canaan on Friday. We know He will be very present and we pray that those who need to see or hear something throughout this week, indeed are open to God's presence here.
On another note, Saturday, Viviane showed up for work unexpectedly. She informed me that she was losing her baby and she wanted to do some work. She was clearly in no physical shape to work, but insisted...work is very important to her. After an hour and a half, I insisted she go home. Today, she looks physically better, but I wonder what emotional pain she is hiding. When I think about the reality she is facing today, my heart drops to my stomach. I have not been through this myself, but I know others who have and I know losing a child is not something you "get over". Again I find myself at a place where all I have to offer is prayer and hugs. I'm grateful for Viviane and the quiet servant's heart she brings here. Please pray for her.

looking forward to more to be revealed this week in and through Team February!

~Deb

1 comment:

  1. Will definitely be keeping Viviane in our hearts and prayers. We just saw her and little Manno in November. Please give her our love :) -J&G

    ReplyDelete