Thursday, September 29, 2011

God is God and I am not

Humility - is the quality of being modest, and respectful. (Wikipedia)
synonyms - lowliness, meekness, submissive

I always just thought that humility or being humble meant simply not bragging. Not something I normally do. I pretty much have this under control.
But as I have been praying lately and honestly asking God to "show any wicked way in me" or "rid myself of me" God has begun showing me otherwise.
I began the school year with our girls using their devotional bible and the theme for the month of September, Humility. Ha, ha, coincidence. Only I really don't believe in coincidences. I still chose not to pay too close attention.
But after hearing a message from a guest speaker at our church a few weeks ago on Colossians 3:12-15...
12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. 13 Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. 14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.
I began seeking out what this might mean in my own life. I began seeking passages in scripture that talk about each one of these; mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
I began with mercy and found some great passages on mercy and even there the word humble was used. Then I moved on the next day to looking up passages on humility. Seeking out what it really means and what God has to say about it. Again, I felt as though I had this one in the bag. But why then, did it keep coming up.
As I'm researching humility using my study bible many, many passages kept coming up. But a few really hit home. ..
Philippians 2:8 He humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal's death on a cross.
The comments following "Do your attitudes reflect the humility and self-sacrifice of Jesus?"
Not new words to me... but new meaning because I was open to hearing new meaning. Hmmm...just because my actions say I am sacrificing doesn't mean my attitude says that.
Another one...
Philippians 2:3 Don't be selfish, don't try to impress others. Be humble thinking of others as better than yourselves
1 Peter 3:8 Finally, all of you should be of one mind. sympathetic with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted and keep a humble attitude.

"Humility leads to wisdom, takes advice, leads to honor, ends in honor, brings honor." (NLT study bible)
The Sunday following the sermon on Colossians, our regular pastor, Pastor John spoke on humility(because I still hadn't gotten it yet). Here's what he had to say about humility:
* true intimacy with God always brings humility
*Humility comes when you see that God is God and you are not. He still loves you and uses you with no condemnation or belittlement.
*It's realizing we are not worthy, how great he is...how great we are not
*the closer you get to God the more humility should be seen in our lives

John 3:30 He must become greater and greater and I must become less and less.

God has really been speaking to me recently about ME. About me being in Haiti not only for the haitians, but for the growth and transformation that he is doing and will do in me. I continue to find myself humbled by the ways he is using me here, but I need to be transformed enough that in my own home, in the United States or wherever else I am, I still have a humble attitude. I need to remember every day, no matter where I am or what problem I want to fix, or how I want to help someone, that God is God and I am not.

I can't wait to get to the patience section of the verse in Colossians, I am pretty sure I'm good in that area!

No comments:

Post a Comment